Here’s how to get the double braid, created by Hair By Joel for his #100BraidsofHappy campaign on Instagram.
1. Make a centre parting (or parting of your choice) and clip/tie one side of the hair out of the way.
2. Take a small section of the hair from the unclipped/untied section and split into three equal strands.
3.Take the left strand and bring UNDER the Middle strand.
4. Take the right strand and bring UNDER the Middle strand.
5. Pick up a small section of hair from the left untied hair side from the central parting and ADD it to the left strand and bring that UNDER the middle strand.
6. Pick up a small section of hair from the right untied hair side, from the hair line and ADD it to the right strand and bring UNDER the middle strand.
7. Continue braiding down the sectioned hair by repeating steps 5 to 6 until you run out of hair. After that, continue into the basic three-strand braid. REPEAT steps 2 to 7 for the remaining hair.
To “pancake” your braid…
Tug gently on the edges of each braid, either while you’re braiding or after, to add more volume and width.